Over the last week, tens of thousands of people have sent a letter to President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Majority Leader Reid telling them to finish health reform right. Joining them, hundreds of organizations who care about health reform - from huge international unions to small community groups - and health care and political experts like Jacob Hacker, Wendell Potter, and Mike Lux have also signed on to the letter.
With one voice, we're all fighting for some very important things as the House and Senate health care bills head into conference to be reconciled. Things like:
- Affordable health care for low and middle income people - a mixture of the House and Senate bills
- Affordable health care at work, with employers pitching in their fair share to cover employees, as is done in the House bill
- A financing plan for health reform that doesn't tax middle class health benefits, as is done in the House bill
- Strong insurance regulations like a national exchange and standard benefit plans, like those in the House bill
- And a national public health insurance option, like the House bill
These things are important. They will lower cost to government and to people. They will hold the insurance industry accountable and do away with their bad practices. They will increase competition. And they will make health care for you and me better.
These things are worth fighting for, and so we're sending an important message.
Next week, we'll be turning up the volume. We've got a television ad all set to go, sending a clear message to Congress and the White House that important things must be fixed in conference. The ad is set to run in all 50 states and Washington, DC, guaranteeing our politicians get the message.
Can you help us put this ad on the air? It's the end of the year, so can you chip in $10 to help us finish health reform right? Click here to donate securely online and help us turn up the volume.